What is the Alternative Winter Break Trip to South Africa?
Quinnipiac University’s Department of Cultural and Global Engagement and the Albert Schweitzer Institute are sponsoring an Alternative Winter Break Trip to South Africa in January 2014. The trip is run by Peter Gallay, Professor of the QU301 South Africa course.
The Alternative Winter Break participants will work along with The Tippy Toes Foundation in South Africa to implement service projects within communities outside of Cape Town. The trip will focus on service but also include tourist experiences.
Participants will meet periodically during the Fall 2013 semester in preparation for their trip. They will be responsible for:
- raising funds for their service project
- blogging/vlogging reflections of their preparations and trip
***Please keep in mind that this is different than the QU301 South Africa course. The QU301 South Africa class meets during the spring semester and travels to in May.***
What type of experience will I have as a participant?
Participants come into this experience with many different interests. To learn about the types of experiences that students in the past have had, we invite you to take a look at some of their blog posts:
What is the travel costs associated with the course and what is included?
The cost of the travel component of the course this year is $3500. This cost includes:
- Accommodations (with Breakfast)
- Entrance fees for tours & excursions
- Travel insurance (Study Abroad Gallagher and Koster Accident and Sickness Health Insurance & International SOS Global Medical and Security Assistance)
- Lunch & Dinner
- Internet Access
- 1st Deposit ($1250) Due: Monday, June 1, 2013
- 2nd Deposit ($1000) Due: Monday, July 15, 2013
- Final Deposit ($1250) Due: Friday, September 6, 2013